TPWD Job Posting 11-19-102
Program Supervisor II (Park Superintendent/Park Police Officer)
Additional vacancies that occur during this posting will be filled with the pool of applicants within this posting period.
- NOTE: CLOSING DATE EXTENDED. REPOSTED. PREVIOUS APPLICANTS NEED NOT RE-APPLY.
- Position Title: Program Supervisor II (Park Superintendent/Park Police Officer)
- Posting Number: 11-19-102
- Posted: April 26, 2011
- Closes: 5 p.m. May 24, 2011
- Class/Salary Group: 1582/B19
- Salary: $4,283.00/Mo.
- Division: State Parks
- Position Location: Falcon State Park, ParkRoad 46, Falcon Heights, TX 78545
- Hiring Contact: Russell Fishbeck
- Phone: 361/790-0303
- Fax: 361/729-6166
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- General Position Description: Under the direction of the Region 2 State Parks Director, the Program Supervisor II/Park Superintendent is responsible for the preservation, protection, operation and maintenance of Falcon State Park. Duties include, but are not limited to: cultural and natural resource stewardship, financial management, budget planning, preparation and monitoring, revenue management, human resources management, security and safety programs, maintenance and repair of facilities, grounds and equipment, customer service, public relations, marketing and promotion, interpretation and education, special events, community outreach, volunteer development and coordination of partnership. Responsible for other assigned projects required by Region and Austin headquarters.
- Working Conditions: (1) Required to work 40 hours per week including a flexible schedule, with hours other than 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and days off other than Saturdays, Sundays and holidays; (2) Required to work in a public park with overnight camping and day use; (3) Required to respond to emergency situations; (4) Required to travel with possible overnight stays; (5) Required to perform work outdoors, occasionally in adverse weather conditions; (6) Required to live on-site in state housing with a monthly deduction of $157.20/month. Housing rate is established by oversight agencies and may change according to market value; (7) Non-smoking environment in State buildings and vehicles.
- Minimum Qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor's Degree from an accredited four year college or university. Acceptable Substitution: TPWD employees hired prior to January 1, 1998 may substitute one year of TPWD experience in park management, supervision or operations for thirty semester hours of the required education, with a maximum substitution of sixty semester hours. Preferred Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Park Administration, Recreation and Parks, Wildlife/Fisheries Science, Natural and/or Cultural Resource Management, Forestry, Biology, Anthropology, Archeology, History.
- Experience: (1) Three years of experience in natural/cultural resource management; or interpretation or education; or general maintenance; or public safety; or promotions or public relations or marketing.(2) Two years experience as a supervisor or a team leader. NOTE: Experience may have occurred concurrently. Preferred Experience: (1) Experience in personnel management as a supervisor or team lead, (2) Experience in park operations and management (revenue, budget, visitor services, natural/cultural resources), (3) Experience as a law enforcement officer. NOTE: Experience may have occurred concurrently.
- License/Certifications: Must have a current license from Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education (TCLEOSE) or be able to obtain within one year; (2) Must possess or be able to obtain, within 30 days of employment, a valid class "C" Texas driver's license; (3) Must be able to legally operate a state vehicle; (4) Must be a citizen of the United States. Federal law requires that new employees present original documents that establish identity and US employment eligibility; (5) Must meet minimum qualifications for Park Police Officer commissioning by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD); (6) Must not have had a commission license denied by final order or revoked, or have a voluntary surrender of a license currently in effect; (7) Must be of good moral character and not have any of the following incidents in their criminal history: (a) a conviction for any Felony, or Class A Misdemeanor offense at any time; (b) conviction for any Class B Misdemeanor offense within 10 years prior to the date of application, which includes convictions for DWI (driving while intoxicated), DUID (driving under the influence of drugs) and BWI (boating while intoxicated); (c) conviction for any family violence offense; (d) currently on court-ordered community supervision, probation or parole for any criminal offense above the grade of Class C Misdemeanor; (8) Must not have been discharged from any military service under less than honorable conditions; (9) Twenty-one years of age or older; (10) Must successfully pass a comprehensive background check; (11) Must be examined by a department approved licensed psychologist and be declared to be in satisfactory psychological and emotional health for law enforcement duty; (12) Must be examined by a department approved licensed physician and be declared to be physically able to perform the duties of a state park police officer; (13) Recommended candidates not currently commissioned with TPWD will be required to successfully pass a physical agility test: (a) Before being allowed to take the physical agility test, the applicant will be required to provide a description of the test to a physician and obtain a written medical clearance; (b) A detailed list of requirements can be obtained by contacting TPWD Human Resources Department. Note: Retention of this position is contingent upon obtaining and maintaining the required licenses. Preferred License: TCLEOSE licensed officer in good standing.
- Selection Criteria:
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: (1) Knowledge of all phases of park administration and operations; (2) Knowledge of cultural and natural resource management; (3) Skill in effective verbal and written communication; (4) Skill in the supervision and management of human resources to include selection, training, counseling, mentoring, developing and disciplining employees; (5) Skill in leadership with the ability to foster a team work environment; (6) Skill in establishing and maintaining effective work relationships with co-workers and work-related contacts; (7) Skill in planning, assigning and/or supervising the work of others; (8) Skill in making independent, sound, timely decisions; (9) Skill in using personal computers and software applications such as Word, Excel and Powerpoint; (10) Ability to carry out public and employee safety programs in accordance with Department requirements; (11) Ability to carry out an effective maintenance management program to include the identification, planning and coordination of maintenance, repair, and/or construction projects associated with park grounds, facilities and equipment; (12) Ability to manage and maintain fiscal resources to include budget formulation and tracking, purchasing and procurement, fee collection and revenue management and concessions operations; (13) Abilty to develop marketing and promotional activities, special events, and interpretive, educational and outreach programs; (14) Ability to enforce park rules and regulations in a fair and consistent manner; (15) Ability to work independently with little or no supervision; (16) Ability to work under stressful situations; (17) Ability to work as a member of a team;
- Additional Requirements: (1) Resumes are accepted, but will not serve in lieu of a completed State of Texas Application for Employment; (2) Miscellaneous information such as training certificates, copies of driver's licenses, etc. are NOT required and not necessary, please do NOT send with packet; (3) A PHOTOCOPY of an official college transcript(s) issued from the registrar MUST be submitted with application. The transcript may say "issued to student" and does not need to be sealed and sent to TPWD. The transcript may be faxed, scanned, or mailed with application; (4) Skills demonstration may be requested at time of interview; (5) Texas Parks and Wildlife requires a Consent for Criminal Background check form from all applicants completed at time of application. The form may be found on our website: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business/jobs/.
- FORWARD APPLICATION TO: TPWD- State Park Region 2 Headquarters, 715 Hwy 35 South, Rockport, TX 78382, Attn: Russell Fishbeck.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Employment, Recruitment and Retention Branch
4200 Smith School Road
Austin, TX 78744
Phone: 512-389-4545; Fax: 512-389-4861; Internet: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/