Burying the Dead - Funerary Customs of the Republic with a look at Washington Cemetery
Oct 20, 2012
from 11:00 AM to 03:00 PM
|Where||Washington-on-the-Brazos State Historic Site|
|Contact Name||Scott McMahon|
|Contact Phone||(936) 878-2214 x228|
Join us on October 20th for a look at the funerary customs of Republic era Texas with a special look at Washington Cemetery.
“Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.”
Funeral Blues, WH Auden
- Presentations will be given at 11:00 am 1:00 pm, and 3:00 pm.
- The presentation will last approximately 30-45 minutes and will meet at the Visitors’ Center.
- Please be sure to arrive 5-10 minutes early.
- Please dress appropriately for the season as the presentation will take place in a period setting.
- All Visitors are welcome but small children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Ticket prices are: Adult $5.00; Student $3.00; FREE to children 6 and under. FREE to Texas State Park annual pass holders.
- Accessible for the mobility impaired.
- For additional details please call the Visitors’ Center at 936.878.2214 ext. 228 Ask for Scott.