Texas Outdoor Family | Cooper Lake State Park - South Sulphur Unit (near DFW) Special Theme - Dutch Oven Cooking!
Visit Cooper Lake State Park and after a day of fun, learn the basics of a beloved camping past time - Dutch Oven Cooking! We'll provide all of the camping equipment you'll need for the weekend including a Dutch Oven and instruction on how to use it. Suggested recipes will be provided before the event.
May 12, 2012 09:30 AM
May 13, 2012 11:30 AM
|Where||Cooper Lake State Park|
Facilities & Driving Directions
- Cooper Lake State Park - South Sulphur Unit
- Individual car camping sites for each family
- Restrooms with hot showers
- Overnight State Park Police Officer providing public safety and security
- Thanks to TPWD sponsors, the basic camping equipment needed for the weekend will be provided. Participants will need to bring their own food, plates, sleeping bags and personal items. Click here for a suggested packing list: TOFPackingList
Agenda & Activities
- Credible Campers & Campsites:
Adults: Learn Leave no Trace principles, how to pitch your tent and use stoves safely
Junior Rangers: PEAK Program “Promoting environmental awareness in kids” to leave no Trace
- Building Base Camp: Families come together, gather equipment and build base camp for the weekend.
- Caching in on State Park Trails: Trail adventure and exploration through GPS and Geo-caching
- Fire Building and Outdoor Cooking Tips: How to safely build fires and cook on open flames / grills (conditions permitting)
- Experience the natural wonders at night: Celebrating nature’s natural night noises at State Parks
- Coffee and chat with a Park Ranger: Q&A – Learn more about parks and conservation
- Know Before You Go ... Breaking Camp and Leaving no Trace of your stay
Additonal Site Specific Activities
- Introduction to Dutch Oven Cooking: Learn the basics of Dutch Oven cooking, recipes and oven provided
- Kayaking: Learn a few basic kayak strokes and explore the lake from on the water!
- State Park Junior Ranger Certification Programs – Targeted Audience: 5-12 years of age
- Environmentally-friendly program which adopts and teaches the 'Leave No Trace' philosophy and practices
- Additional programs specifically for use and enjoyment of a state park
- A shopping list/menu will be provided; you will need to bring your own food. Click here to see the suggested shopping list: TOFPre-Materials
- Instructors will teach you how to enjoy family camp cooking.
- $65 per family (up to 6 individuals) - includes all entry and camping fees.
- You will be asked to bring your family's food for the two-day event and a suggested list of items will be provided via email.
How to Register
- Call 512-389-8903 and ask to speak to one of our "Texas Outdoor Family" customer service representatives Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. They can answer any questions you might have.
- You will receive a confirmation packet with directions and more details will be sent to you via email after you are registered for a Texas Outdoor Family workshop.
- Please note that all reservations and full payment must be made at least three business days in advance of the workshops. All fees are non-refundable.