Garner State Park | Texas Outdoor Family | Hill Country | 2 Night Workshop | (Open)
Join us for a fun filled weekend designed to help your family discover the joys of camping and Texas State Parks. All camping gear and equipment required for an overnight stay at the park is included with each reservation! Click for a list of activities offered and specific information for this workshop.
Sep 05, 2014 06:30 PM
Sep 07, 2014 11:00 AM
|Where||Garner State Park|
Park Website, Map, & Directions
- Individual car camping sites for each family
- Potable water at or near each campsite
- Electricity at your campsite
- Restrooms with hot showers
- Overnight ranger presence for comfort and confidence
- The basic camping equipment needed for the weekend will be provided. Families are expected to provide sheets, blankets, food and personal items.
- Download the TOF Welcome Packet for a detailed list of what is provided and what should be brought from home.
- Typical TOF equipment includes what is pictured below.
Activities Specific to this Workshop
The Texas Outdoor Family program will provide you with an opportunity to enjoy all of the following activities at your upcoming event. You are also encouraged to explore the park on your own, creating your own adventure along the way. All activities are subject to weather conditions.
- Credible Campers & Campsites:
- Adults: Learn Leave no Trace principles, how to pitch your tent and use stoves safely
- Junior Rangers: A kid specific hike, including a conversation about Leave No Trace
- Building Base Camp: Families come together, gather equipment, and build base camp for the weekend.
- Caching in on State Park Trails: Trail adventure and exploration through GPS and Geocaching
- Fire Building and Outdoor Cooking Tips: How to safely build fires and cook on open flames / grills
- Experience the Sounds of the Night: Celebrating nature’s night sounds with a Ranger led presentation
- Careful Kayaking: Learn the basics of kayaking with a Park Ranger. Lifejackets are required to be worn and provided for your use by staff.
- The Garner Dance: The famous Garner Dance has had generations two-stepping the night away under the stars
- Swimming in the Frio River: Cool off with a dip in one of Texas' most beloved rivers
- Chat with a Park Ranger: Q&A – Learn more about parks and conservation
- Know Before You Go ... Breaking Camp and Leaving No Trace of your stay
- State Park Junior Ranger Journal: Available upon request. When completed, these journals earn your jr. ranger their very own patch.
- And More: The night skies might be right for an impromptu star party or the park may hosting another great outdoor program that you would like to participate in!
Review a sample Two Night TOF Agenda. All activities and times are subject to weather, staffing, and attendance and can change at the ranger’s discretion.
Conclusion & Departure
Texas Outdoor Family programming typically concludes with the borrowed gear being turned-in at or before 11am on Sunday. Families are asked to participate in our program’s conclusion on Sunday morning where they are given information and promotional items designed to help you plan your next camping trip. If your family needs to leave early, please inform your on-site ranger for instructions pertaining to the return of the borrowed equipment.
Your family is invited to stay in the park until the close of business (10pm) on the day that your program concludes, but campsites must be vacated by 2pm.
- Families are asked to provide their own means. Easy camp meal ideas are provided in the TOF Welcome Packet
- Instructors will offer great tips on enjoying family camp cooking.
- $85 per family (up to 6 individuals) - includes all entry and camping fees.
- For the preservation of the camping equipment, pets of all sorts are not allowed on TOF events.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Visit our FAQ page for additional details.
- Still have questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more specific questions.
How to Register
- Call 512-389-8903 to speak to one of our "Texas Outdoor Family" customer service representatives Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Download the TOF Welcome Packet to assist in your planning.
- Print and complete the last two pages of the welcome packet and bring it to your workshop.
- All reservations must be made by noon on the Thursday prior to the event.
- Payment in full is required at the time a reservation is made.
- All fees are non-refundable. A one-time transfer to a different workshop is allowed two weeks prior to your scheduled event, pending availability.