Jr. Ranger Summer Camp
Come learn to be a proud member of the Junior Rangers of Texas Parks and Wildlife! This day camp is open to children who are interested in science and the outdoors ages 8-12. Our Counselor In Training program is for children ages 13-17. Campers learn to fish, throw an atlatl, listen for birds and other wildlife, knap arrowheads, and more while swimming, playing camp games, making friends and enjoying the beauty of McKinney Falls State Park. Camp weeks are June 10-14, 17-21 and 24-28. Each camp day begins at 8 a.m. and ends at 5 p.m. This event is open to registered applicants only.
Jun 10, 2013 08:00 AM
Jun 14, 2013 05:00 PM Every week until Jun 28, 2013
|Where||McKinney Falls State Park|
|Contact Name||Amber Conrad|
|Contact Phone||(512) 415-8793|
- Each camp week session runs Monday through Friday of the given camp week.
- Camp weeks are June 10-14, 17-21 and 24-28.
- Each camp day begins at 8 a.m. and ends at 5 p.m.
- Each day campers will learn from outdoor professionals and are led by staff of qualified lead counselors.
- All campers and CITs are di-vided into tribes by age.
- We will email camp form packets in May to campers with complete applications.
- An application is complete when we have received a check or money order and the application page of this packet.
- CITs are allowed to attend more than one session but will only be placed in additional weeks after all other CITs have a spot on the schedule.
- Campers are allowed to attend more than one session and will be placed in the order in which we receive completed applications.
- We provide afternoon snack, please bring a bag lunch.
- This is an outdoor-dominate camp experience. We provide shaded areas for campers, however, many activities are in full or partial sun
- Activities include flint knapping, swim-ming, looking at live stuff un-der a microscope, geocach-ing, fishing, guided hikes, throwing an atlatl at foam animals, camp games and more.
Each camper will be placed with peers in their age group. Camp is divided into 4 tribes with a lead counselor and CIT assigned to each tribe. Structured and unstructured play and active learning will fill your child’s day.
At the end of the week each camper will have earned the title of Junior Ranger with an awards ceremony and ice cream social Thursday at 5 p.m. with a field day to follow on Friday.
More information and a confirmation letter will be mailed to you upon registration. Please bring all documents to the first day of camp.
Fee: $175.00 per weekly session
The counselor-in-training program is an opportunity for teens to gain valuable leader-ship skills while participating in many of our camp activities. CITs will be assigned to a camp counselor and will assist in the leader-ship of a camper group.
The CIT camp fee covers t-shirts, water bottle, snacks and camp supplies. A one day training session prior to the camp season is mandatory for all CITs. Each CIT is placed in a given summer camp session based on their postmarked completed application.
Though CITs are still learning, they will be expected to set a positive example for younger campers while developing their leadership skills.
Fee: $75 per weekly session
Training: June 8, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
Dates: June 10-13, 17-21, 24-28
Time: Mon-Fri, 8-5pm