Music Makes a Celebration
Sep 29, 2012
from 11:00 AM to 03:00 PM
|Where||Fanthorp Inn State Historic Site|
|Contact Name||Tom Scaggs|
|Contact Phone||(936) 878-2214|
Discover the music that inspired celebration and recreation in 19th century Texas at Fanthorp Inn State Historic Site on Saturday September 29,and again on Oct.27, 2012 with the program- Music Makes a Celebration presented by “Roseville Fair Old Time String Band”.
As one of early Texas’ most occupied Stagecoach Inns, Fanthorp often found itself as the focal point for parties, celebrations, and great Balls; which brought delight to significant dates such as New Years, Christmas and Texas Independence Day. Relive the joy weary travelers and local citizens experienced as the Inn provided the largest room and accommodations in the area to host celebrations, parties and the occasional escape from the rugged Texas frontier. Imagine interacting with noted Fanthorp guests who included Sam Houston, Zachary Taylor, and Robert E. Lee as fanciful music filled the rooms and heads of travelers, locals and dignitaries. Absorb the music that brought relief to the weary and excitement to young and old alike. Explore the period music performed by skilled musicians on instruments including the fiddle and guitar. Don’t be surprised to feel yourself join in the toe tapping music.
Visit Fanthorp Inn on these special Saturdays in September and October to experience the life and music of Texans and travelers. Tap on the tambourine or take your turn on the dance floor as you are led through the musical steps with our pleasant dance instructor-caller. Discover stories told by costumed guides, describing the workings of an Inn and its very successful Innkeeper.
Fanthorp Inn is located at the end of Main Street in Anderson, Texas and is administered by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Fanthorp Inn is open 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays only.
It’s a unique event the whole family will remember and enjoy.
- Texas Parks and Wildlife presents Fanthorp Inn to you without admission fees but with a suggested donation of Adults -$4.00 and Students (12 and under) $2.00.
- The program will be held from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM at Fanthorp Inn State Historic Site, 579 South Main Street Anderson, Texas 77830, located in Grimes County off Highway 90 about 10 miles east of Texas Hwy 6 in Navasota.
- The standard hours/days of operation for the site are from 9:00 AM to 3:30 PM Saturday and Sunday only.
- Please dress appropriately for the season and be prepared for the weather as the event will take place in a period setting with some portions outdoors.
- The first floor is accessible for the mobility impaired.
- For more information please call 936-878-2214.