Music Makes a Celebration
On the second Saturday of each month, Fanthorp Inn comes alive with special "DAYS TO REMEMBER". Come early and catch a ride on the famous stagecoach which runs, weather permitting, from 11 AM to 3 PM.
Jun 08, 2013
from 11:00 AM to 03:00 PM
|Where||Fanthorp Inn State Historic Site|
|Contact Name||Tom Scaggs|
|Contact Phone||(936) 878-2214|
Join us from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM as we present “Music Makes a Celebration”. Tap on the tambourine or try your hand at strumming the mountain dulcimer. Visit Fanthorp Inn on this special Saturday in June and experience the life and music of Texans and travelers. Discover the music that inspired celebration and recreation in the 19th century. As one of early Texas’ most occupied Stagecoach Inns, Fanthorp often found itself as the focal point for parties, celebrations, and great Balls; which brought delight to significant dates such as New Years, Christmas and Texas Independence Day. Relive the joy weary travelers and local citizens experienced as the Inn provided the largest room and accommodations in the area to host celebrations. Imagine interacting with noted Fanthorp guests who included Sam Houston, Zachary Taylor, and Robert E. Lee as fanciful music filled the rooms. Absorb the music that brought relief to the weary and excitement to young and old alike. Explore the period music performed by skilled musicians on instruments including the Mountain Dulcimer and guitar. Don’t be surprised to feel yourself join in the toe tapping music.
On the second Saturday of each month, Fanthorp Inn comes alive with special “DAYS TO REMEMBER”. Poets, cowboys and musicians entertain as visitors tour the Inn and learn about travel and communications at one of Texas’ most authentically restored stagecoach inns. Stepping onto the Fanthorp front porch is a passage into yesteryear as guides take visitors back to Texas in the 1850’s. It’s a unique event the whole family will remember and enjoy.
- Texas Parks and Wildlife presents Fanthorp Inn to you without admission fees but with a suggested donation of Adults -$4.00 (or $10.00 including coach ride) and Students (12 and under) $2.00 (or $5.00 including coach ride).
- The program, including coach rides, will be held from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM at Fanthorp Inn State Historic Site, 579 South Main Street Anderson, Texas 77830, located in Grimes County off Highway 90 about 10 miles east of Texas Hwy 6 in Navasota.
- The standard hours/days of operation for the site are from 9:00 AM to 3:30 PM Saturday and Sunday.
- The event will take place in a period setting with some portions outdoors, so please dress appropriately for the season and be prepared for the weather.
- The first floor is accessible for the mobility impaired.
- For more information please call 936-878-2214.