Texas Outdoor Family | 3-night Super Awesome Summer Adventure at Balmorhea and Davis Mountains State Parks (west Texas) | (FULL - Wait List forming)
You don't want to miss this amazing opportunity to visit some of the prettiest parks in Texas! Spend 2 nights at Balmorhea State Park with it's spring-fed swimming pool and 1 night at Davis Mountains State Park for some star-gazing like you've never experienced before!
Jun 20, 2013 06:00 PM
Jun 23, 2013 12:00 PM
|Where||Balmorhea and Davis Mountains State Parks|
- Balmorhea State Park
- Davis Mountains State Park
- Individual car camping sites for each family
- Restrooms with hot showers
- Overnight State Park Police Officer, public safety, and security
- Thanks to TPWD sponsors, the basic camping equipment needed for the weekend will be provided. Participants will need to bring their own food, plates, sleeping bags and personal items. Click here for a suggested packing list: TOFPackingList
Agenda & Activities
- Credible Campers & Campsites:
Adults: Learn Leave no Trace principles, how to pitch your tent and use stoves safely
Junior Rangers: PEAK Program “Promoting environmental awareness in kids” to leave no trace
- Building Base Camp: Families come together, gather equipment and build base camp for the weekend.
- Campfires Stories: Enjoy cowboy tales and Native American legends as told by a Park Ranger
- Caching in on state park trails - Geocaching around the park - a treasure hunt using GPS technology
- Jr Ranger Activities: Fun and easy outdoor games and activities for the kids
- Balmorhea Ranger Program : A local Park Ranger will share some history and information about wildlife and the area
- Family Time and Swimming: Enjoy family time and go for a swim in the spring-fed pool!
- Fire Building and Outdoor Cooking Tips: How to safely build fires and cook on open flames / grills and Dutch Oven Cooking demonstration with samples!
- Experience the natural wonders at night: Celebrating nature’s natural night noises at State Parks - a Park Ranger Presentation
- Pack up camp and take a scenic drive to the Davis Mountains: Davis Mountains State Park is 35 miles south of Balmorhea State Park on TX-17 and the drive is gorgeous!
- Building Basecamp Round 2: Set up camp in a mountain view spot for the night
- Ranger Hike - Hike a nature trail in the park with a local Ranger
- Skyline Scenic Drive: Once you get into Davis Mountains State Park there is a short scenic drive with an amazing view at the top
- Dinner at Camp or the Black Bear Restaurant in the Indian Lodge: Make dinner at camp or have a meal at the restaurant located in the state park
- Star-gazing Spectacular: Look through a telescope at the stars above and hear some stories about constellations in the sky
- Coffee and chat with a Park Ranger: Q&A – Learn more about parks and conservation
- Know Before You Go ... Breaking Camp and Leaving No Trace of your stay
- State Park Junior Ranger Certification Programs – Targeted Audience: 5-12 years of age
- Environmentally-friendly program which adopts and teaches the 'Leave No Trace' philosophy and practices
- Additional programs specifically for use and enjoyment of a state park
- A shopping list/menu will be provided; you will need to bring your own food. Click here to see the suggested shopping list: TOFPre-Materials
- Instructors will teach you how to enjoy family camp cooking.
- $110 per family (up to 6 individuals) - includes all entry and camping fees.
- You will be asked to bring your family's food for the two-day event and a suggested list of items is provided below in the "TOFPRE-materials."
How to Register
- Call 512-389-8903 and ask to speak to one of our "Texas Outdoor Family" customer service representatives Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. They can answer any questions you might have and also can provide the contact number for partner site workshops.
- You will be e-mailed a confirmation packet with directions and additional items.
- Please note that all reservations and full payment must be made at least four business days in advance of the workshops. All fees are non-refundable.