Texas Outdoor Family | Battleship Texas (near Houston) - Special Theme - Sleep on the Battleship!
Join the Texas Outdoor Family for a very special opportunity. We will be spending the night on Battleship Texas and exploring the historic San Jacinto Battleground and Monument.
May 05, 2012 09:30 AM
May 06, 2012 11:30 AM
Facilities & Driving Directions
- Battleship Texas State Historic Site
- Bunk style sleeping accomodations
- Overnight State Park Personnel providing public safety and security
- Thanks to TPWD sponsors, the basic camping equipment needed for the weekend will be provided. Participants will need to bring their own food, plates, sleeping bags and personal items. Click here for a suggested packing list: TOFPackingList
- Cooking will be limited to the picnic area off of the ship, many food options available nearby.
Agenda & Activities
- Welcome to Battleship Texas: Tour the boat and get comfortable with the overnight accommodations.
- Tour the San Jacinto Battleground: Explore the site where Texas' independence was won.
- Caching in on State Park Trails: Trail adventure and exploration through GPS and Geo-caching
- Experience historical wonders at night: Evening interpretive program on the deck of Battleship Texas.
- Coffee and chat with a Park Ranger: Q&A – Learn more about parks and conservation
- Know Before You Go ... Breaking Camp and Leaving no Trace of your stay
Additonal Site Specific Activities
- Introduction to Kayaking: Learn kayaking basics in a protected cove of the Houston Shipping Channel
- State Park Junior Ranger Certification Programs – Targeted Audience: 5-12 years of age
- Environmentally-friendly program which adopts and teaches the 'Leave No Trace' philosophy and practices
- Additional programs specifically for use and enjoyment of a state park
- A shopping list/menu will be provided; you will need to bring your own food. Click here to see the suggested shopping list: TOFPre-Materials
- Instructors will teach you how to enjoy family camp cooking.
- $65 per family (up to 4 individuals only due to bunk accomodations) - includes all entry fees. Families of more than 4 will be considered on a case by case basis. Adults and Children ages 5 and up only.
- You will be asked to bring your family's food for the two-day event and a suggested list of items will be provided via email.
How to Register
- Call 512-389-8903 and ask to speak to one of our "Texas Outdoor Family" customer service representatives Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. They can answer any questions you might have.
- You will receive a confirmation packet with directions and more details will be sent to you via email after you are registered for a Texas Outdoor Family workshop.
- Please note that all reservations and full payment must be made at least three business days in advance of the workshops. All fees are non-refundable.