Texas Outdoor Family | Choke Canyon State Park (near San Antonio) - Special Theme 2 Night Event - Dutch Oven and Enclosed Shelters!
Join the Texas Outdoor Family 80 miles south of San Antonio at Choke Canyon State Park. This special 2 night event will include Dutch Oven Cooking and each family will be provided their own enclosed shelter to make the early season temperatures a breeze! All training, gear, and fun provided!
Feb 15, 2013 06:00 PM
Feb 17, 2013 09:30 AM
|Where||Choke Canyon State Park|
- Choke Canyon State Park
- Individual enclosed shelters for each family
- Two twin beds in each shelter in addition to air mattresses provided by program
- Electricity provided inside each shelter
- Restrooms with hot showers
- Overnight State Park Police Officer for public safety and security
- Tents will be available for any family choosing to use one in addition to the shelter
- Thanks to TPWD sponsors, the basic camping equipment needed for the weekend will be provided. Participants will need to bring their own food, plates, sleeping bags and personal items. Click here for a suggested packing list: TOFPackingList
Agenda & Activities
- Credible Campers & Campsites:
Adults: Learn Leave no Trace principles, how to pitch a tent, and use stoves safely
Junior Rangers: PEAK Program “Promoting environmental awareness in kids” to leave no trace
- Experience the natural wonders at night: Celebrating nature’s natural night noises at State Parks
- Caching in on State Park Trails: Trail adventure and exploration through GPS and Geo-caching
- Fire Building and Outdoor Cooking Tips: How to safely build fires and cook on open flames / grills
- Nature Hikes: See the South Texas habitat up close finding the birds, deer, and wild turkeys that Choke Canyon is famous for!
- Fishing: Try your luck at catching sunfish, catfish, or largemouth bass
- Kayaking: Weather permitting
- Coffee and chat with a Park Ranger: Q&A – Learn more about parks and conservation
- Know Before You Go ... Breaking Camp and Leaving No Trace of your stay
Additional Site Specific Activities
- Dutch Oven Cooking: Each family will be provided a Dutch Oven and a crash course in outdoor cooking. Suggested recipes will be provided ahead of the workshop and many more are available with a quick internet search.
- State Park Junior Ranger Certification Programs – Targeted Audience: 5-12 years of age
- Environmentally-friendly program which adopts and teaches the 'Leave No Trace' philosophy and practices
- Additional programs specifically for use and enjoyment of a state park
- A shopping list/menu will be provided; you will need to bring your own food. Click here to see the suggested shopping list: TOFPre-Materials
- Instructors will teach you how to enjoy family camp cooking using your camp stove and a provided Dutch Oven.
- $85 per family (up to 6 individuals) - includes all entry and camping fees.
- You will be asked to bring your family's food for the two-night event and a suggested list of items is provided below in the "TOFPRE-materials."
How to Register
- Call 512-389-8903 and ask to speak to one of our "Texas Outdoor Family" customer service representatives Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. They can answer any questions you might have and also can provide the contact number for partner site workshops.
- You will be e-mailed a confirmation packet with directions and additional items.
- Please note that all reservations and full payment must be made at least four business days in advance of the workshops. All fees are non-refundable.