Texas Outdoor Family | Dinosaur Valley State Park | Outdoor Cooking Workshop (Near Ft Worth) | (FULL - Waitlist Forming)
Who can resist the opportunity to check out some real dinosaur tracks? Join us to learn about the Paluxysaurus and other dinosaurs that roamed this area long ago. Learn how to cook more than you ever thought you could while camping!
Apr 05, 2014 09:30 AM
Apr 06, 2014 11:00 AM
|Where||Dinosaur Valley State Park|
|Contact Name||Texas Outdoor Family|
|Contact Phone||(512) 389-8903|
- Dinosaur Valley State Park
- Individual car camping sites for each family
- Potable water at or near each campsite
- Electricity at your campsite
- Restrooms with hot showers
- Overnight State Park Police Officer, public safety, and security
- Thanks to TPWD sponsors, the basic camping equipment needed for the weekend will be provided. Participants will need to bring their own food, plates, sleeping bags and personal items. Click here for a suggested packing list of personal items from home: TOF Packing List
Agenda & Activities
The Texas Outdoor Family program will provide you with an opportunity to enjoy all of the following activities at your upcoming event. You are also encouraged to explore the park on your own, creating your own adventure along the way. Please note that all “on the water” type activities are subject to weather conditions.
- Credible Campers & Campsites:
- Adults: Learn Leave no Trace principles, how to pitch your tent and use stoves safely
- Junior Rangers: A kid specific hike, including a conversation about Leave No Trace
- Building Base Camp: Families come together, gather equipment, and build base camp for the weekend.
- Caching in on State Park Trails: Trail adventure and exploration through GPS and Geocaching
- Fire Building and Outdoor Cooking Tips: How to safely build fires and cook on open flames / grills - Learn how to cook using a Dutch Oven and other Park Ranger campfire cuisine. With advanced preparation and research, you can use one of our Dutch Ovens to cook part of your family's dinner! (Details on this portion of the event will be sent via e-mail by a Park Ranger in advance of the event.)
- Experience the Sounds of the Night: Celebrating nature’s night sounds with a Ranger led presentation
- Dinosaurs and Their Fossils: Learn about dinosaurs and other fossils
- Coffee and chat with a Park Ranger: Q&A – Learn more about parks and conservation
- Know Before You Go: Breaking Camp and Leaving No Trace of your stay
- State Park Junior Ranger Journal: Available upon request. When completed, these journals earn your jr. ranger their very own patch.
- And More: Don’t be surprised if the night skies are right for an impromptu star party or if the park is hosting another great outdoor program that you would like to participate in!
Conclusion & Departure
Texas Outdoor Family programming typically concludes with the borrowed gear being turned in at or before 11 am on Sunday. We ask that families participate in our program’s conclusion earlier on Sunday morning where they are given great information and promotional items aimed at helping them plan their next camping trip at a Texas State Park. If your family needs to leave early, please inform your on-site ranger for instructions pertaining to the return of the borrowed equipment.
Your family is invited to stay in the park until the close of business on the day that your program concludes.
- Easy camp meal ideas are provided in the: TOF Pre-Materials
- Instructors will teach you how to enjoy family camp cooking.
- $65 per family (up to 6 individuals) - includes all entry and camping fees.
- You will be asked to bring your family's food for the two-day event and a suggested list of items is provided in the TOF Pre-Materials
How to Register
- Call (512) 389-8903 and ask to speak to one of our "Texas Outdoor Family" customer service representatives Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. They can answer any questions you might have.
- You will be e-mailed a confirmation packet with directions and other items helpful with your planning.
- Please note that all reservations and full payment must be made by noon on the Thursday before the event. All fees are non-refundable.