The Fanthorp Guest Register
Sep 08, 2012
from 11:00 AM to 03:00 PM
|Where||Fanthorp Inn State Historic Site|
|Contact Name||Tom Scaggs|
|Contact Phone||(936) 878-2214|
Stagecoach rides are scheduled for this event!
Join us at 11, 1 and 3p.m. as we present “The Fanthorp Guest Register”. Back in the 1800’s public conveyances like the Stagecoach brought common travelers and famous Texans alike to the shelter of stagecoach inns. The Guestbook at Fanthorp Inn is an important reflection of the pages of history we honor as Texans. Come and hear the stories of the famous travelers who spent time at one of the most important and best preserved stagecoach inns in Texas. Names such as Anson Jones, Sam Houston and Robert E. Lee are reported to have stayed here. Listen to the stories of Zachary Taylor marching to Mexico in 1846 and camping at the Inn. Learn how he and his officers were treated to an elegant formal dinner in the Inn while his troops were fed under a tree outside.
On the second Saturday of each month, Fanthorp Inn comes alive with special “DAYS TO REMEMBER”. So in addition to the Guestbook presentations, you will be magically taken back in time to the Texas 1850’s with the sweet sounds of Dulcimer music provided by the Star of Texas Dulcimers and have the unique opportunity to ride the stagecoach through historic Anderson. Stepping onto the Fanthorp front porch is a passage into yesteryear as guides dressed in period clothes take visitors through one of Texas’ most authentically restored stagecoach inns. It’s a unique event the whole family will remember and enjoy.
- Texas Parks and Wildlife presents Fanthorp Inn to you without admission fees but with a suggested donation of Adults -$4.00 (or $10.00 including coach ride) and Students (12 and under) $2.00 (or $5.00 including coach ride).
- The program, including coach rides, will be held from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM at Fanthorp Inn State Historic Site, 579 South Main Street Anderson, Texas 77830, located in Grimes County off Highway 90 about 10 miles east of Texas Hwy 6 in Navasota.
- The standard hours/days of operation for the site are from 9:00 AM to 3:30 PM Saturday and Sunday.
- Please dress appropriately for the season and be prepared for the weather as the event will take place in a period setting with some portions outdoors.
- The first floor is accessible for the mobility impaired.
- For more information please call 936-878-2214.