The Last President of the Republic of Texas is No More
The saga of Dr. Anson Jones will be presented at 11:00 AM and 2:00 PM with other demonstrations and discussions ongoing throughout the day.
Jan 04, 2014
from 10:00 AM to 04:30 PM Every day until Jan 05, 2014
|Where||Washington-on-the-Brazos State Historic Site|
|Contact Name||Pam Scaggs|
|Contact Phone||(936) 878-2214 x246|
During the early morning hours of January 9, 1858, Dr. Anson Jones sat alone in his room in the Capitol Hotel in Houston, Texas. What he thought as he sat in the darkness will never be known as Dr. Jones put a gun to his head, pulled the trigger, and died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. After what seemed to many as a successful life, the mystery remains as to why the last President of the Republic of Texas decided to end his life as he did not leave a letter outlining his reasons; however, the events of his life may hold a clue to his final, fateful decision.
“The Last President of the Republic of Texas is No More” will be held Saturday and Sunday, January 4th & 5th, at Barrington Living History Farm located in Washington-on-the-Brazos State Historical Park off Highway 105 between Navasota and Brenham on FM 1155.
- Program FREE with general admission. Reservations not required.
- Farm Admission prices are: Adult $5.00; Student (age 7 through college) $3.00; Children 6 and under – FREE; Texas State Park annual pass holders - FREE.
- Discounted tour tickets for Independence Hall and the Star of the Republic Museum are available.
- Standard hours of operation for the site are from 10:00 AM to 4:30 PM.
- Please dress appropriately for the season and be prepared for the weather as the event will take place in an 1850’s period setting with some portions outdoors.
- Leashed pets allowed in park, but NOT ALLOWED onto farm site.
- Accessible for the mobility impaired.
- For additional details call (936) 878-2214 ext 246, ask for Pam.