- Statistics: Public Hunting by Special Permit
Annual Public Hunting Permit: Walk-in Hunts
Find a Public Hunting Area
Texas Locator Map of Public Hunting Areas
Annual Public Hunting (APH) Permit - $48
- A valid Texas hunting license along with any required stamp endorsements is required in addition to the APH Permit to participate in hunting opportunities offered through the public hunting program. Please visit Licenses for more information.
- Issued to an individual and valid from date of purchase through August 31 of that license year (Sept. 1-Aug. 31).
- Provides access to almost million acres of land for hunting, fishing, camping, and other recreational activities during
operating hours. Sites include some State Parks, U.S. Forest Service lands,
and Wildlife Management Areas.
- Offers more than 200 different areas, including approximately 140 special dove and small game hunting units.
- Many areas are open year-round to permit holders.
- Hunt a wide variety of species including deer, dove, feral hogs, quail, squirrel, turkey, waterfowl, and other legal game.
- Regular/daily hunting permit fees (see below) are waived for holders of the APH Permit.
- The APH Permit waives any applicable daily hunting permit fees.
- Youth under age 17 may hunt free with a permitted adult.
- Only permit holders receive a Map Booklet for Public Hunting Lands listing available areas, facilities, maps, rules, and schedules.
- APH Permits are available at TPWD law enforcement offices and all license vendors (a place which sells hunting and fishing licenses) or by calling 1-800-TX-LIC-4U (menu choice 1 for license sales and paying by Visa, Discover or MasterCard). You can also purchase permits online. If the permit is purchased at a TPWD office, the Map Booklet will be provided immediately at the time of purchase; otherwise, publications will be mailed to the purchaser within two weeks of purchase.
Limited Public Use (LPU) Permit - $12
- A Limited Public Use (LPU) Permit is also available and provides access to the same properties at the same times as the APH.
- The LPU allows similar recreational activities covered by the APH, but does not authorize hunting.
- LPU Permit holders also receive a Map Booklet for Public Hunting Lands listing available areas, facilities, maps, rules, and schedules.
- Youth under age 17 may access these areas for free with a permitted adult
Regular Permit Hunts - $20
- A Regular/Daily Hunting Permit purchased at the hunting area is available for some of the small game hunts.
- Youth under age 17 are free with permitted adult.
- This information is found in the Regular Permit section of the Special Drawing and Regular Permit Hunting Opportunities
- Hunts for dove, quail, squirrel, and waterfowl are offered at designated times on designated hunting areas.
- Several hunts are designated as Youth Only where only supervised youth are allowed to hunt and some are Youth/Adult hunts where each hunting party MUST contain at least one youth participant.
Back to Top