Public Hunt Drawing System: Drawn Hunts
The Public Hunt Drawing System provides low-cost, high-quality public hunting opportunities throughout the state. Individuals are drawn for a Special Permit by random computer selection from a qualified pool of applicants. Current and former applicants can receive information on preference points, status of a submitted application, and drawing results by calling the automatic information system at (512) 389-8221.
Search for Public Hunts
- Interactive Drawn Hunt Search
This interactive map allows the user to Browse by Location and/or Search by Hunt Category and complete the electronic application cards. To apply you must print the cards and mail them to TPWD's Austin Headquarters. Refer to the printed Special Drawing and Regular Permit Hunting Opportunities Booklet (an electronic copy of this publication is available for download below) for complete rules and regulations.
- Special Drawing and Regular Permit Hunting Opportunities | PDF
Each hunting season, TPWD publishes this booklet which contains program rules and regulations, hunt categories and schedules, procedures for applying, hunt area descriptions, Regular Permit Hunts, and application cards. To request a printed copy, please call 1-800-792-1112.
- Instructions for Completing an Application Card
Special Permit Hunt Categories
- Alligator, ALE
- Archery Deer, ADE
- Crossbow Deer, CBE
- Archery Mule Deer, AMD
- Archery Exotic Only, AEX
- Gun Pronghorn, GAE
- Private Lands - Either Sex, PLE
- Private Lands; Antlerless/Spike, PLA
- Gun Deer; Either Sex, GDE
- Gun Deer; Antlerless/Spike, GDA
- Gun Deer; Management, GDM
- Gun Mule Deer, MDG
- Exotic Only, EXO
- Javelina, GJE
- Feral Hog, GFH
- Spring Turkey, GTS
- Guided Bighorn Sheep Hunt Package, BXX
- Guided Gemsbock Hunt Package, GXX
- Youth Only Alligator, YAL
- Youth Only Gun Deer; Either Sex, YDE
- Youth Only Gun Deer; Antlerless/Spike, YDA
- Youth Only Gun Deer; Management, YDM
- Youth Only Javelina, YJE
- Youth Only Exotic, YEX
- Youth Only Feral Hog, YFH
- Youth Only Spring Turkey, YTS
IMPORTANT NOTICE: You may apply only once within each hunt category (example: Gun Deer; Either Sex, GDE). All duplicte applications will be disqualified and application fees will not be refunded.
Age Requirements and Youth Only Hunts
- Participants must be at least 8 years of age or older at the time of application. Your 7 years or younger are not eligible to participate.
- Youth applicants must be between 8 and 16 years of age. Youth under 8 years of age are not eligible to participate in the drawings.
- Eligible youth must apply as a member of a party and not as a single applicant.
- Applications for youth must contain the name of a parent or guardian (18 years of age or older) who will serve as a supervisor.
- To participate, the youth must be under the direct supervision of the permitted adult supervisor who will be responsible for their conduct during the hunt.
- Only youth are authorized to hunt during a Youth Only Hunt.
- Failure of the parent or guardian to properly supervise the youth will result in forfeiture of the permits of both hunters.
- Youth may not apply for the Guided Hunt Packages.
- Each applicant, including minors, must have their own Social Security Number
- Each applicant 17 years of age or older is charged a $3 or $10 application fee according to the hunt applied for. If you are drawn for a hunt, then each applicant 17 years of age or older is charged a permit fee. Permit fees are requested in the Notice of Selection letter.
- Regular (3-day) hunts have an $80 permit fee and extended (4-5 days) hunts have a $130 permit fee.
- Private Lands, Guided Hunt Packages, and Pronghorn Hunts have no permit fees.
- On Youth Only Hunts, both the application fee and the permit fee are waived for both the non-hunting adult supervisor and the yout hunter.
- Applications are due by 5:00 p.m. on a specific date depending on the category.
- The Application Due Dates are printed in the heading for each hunt category and on the top right-hand corner of each application card
- Applications can be mailed to 4200 Smith School Road, Austin, TX 78744 or dropped off Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. There is no after hours drop-off available.
- POST MARK date will NOT QUALIFY for meeting the deadline.
- Applications received after the deadline will be disqualified and application fees will NOT be REFUNDED.