Gene Howe WMA - W.A. "Pat" Murphy Unit: Other
Phone: (806) 323-8642
Canadian, TX 79014
James B. Baker
Dates Open: Open year round, except closed for Special Permit hunts.
Registration is required.
- Persons may not possess a loaded firearm within a motor vehicle, except as provided for a disabled person.
- Persons may not possess a loaded firearm within a designated campsite, designated parking area, or at the WMA headquarters or check station.
- Persons may not discharge a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow from, onto, along, or across a designated road or campsite.
- Persons may not use or display a firearm or other weapon in an obviously unsafe or threatening manner.
- A person having a valid concealed handgun license may possess a concealed handgun on the WMA.
- Persons may not possess buckshot unless authorized by the Department for a specific activity.
- Persons may not use a rifle, handgun, or shotgun with slugs to take a game bird.
- No target shooting or practice is permitted on the WMA.
- Vehicles are not permitted on the Murphy Unit, unless authorized.
- Hunting is not permitted from a vehicle, except as provided for a disabled person.
- Persons may not operate an all terrain vehicle (ATV) or 4-wheeler on public lands unless meeting qualifications for being disabled. In addition, a person operating ATV must have taken an ATV safety class as approved by the DPS, ATV must be registered in a county, and appropriate safety gear must be worn.
- Camping is not permitted on the Murphy Unit.
- Do not disturb or remove plants, rocks, soil, artifacts, or other objects from the Murphy Unit.
- Users must comply with all instructions on permits, leaflets, and posted notices.