Square Yard Habitat
Discover a World Under Your Feet!
What You Need:
- Yard sticks, string, hula hoop or something to make an outline on the ground
- Optional: Magnifying glass
- Use yard sticks, string or anything to make an outline on the ground.
- Now try to find as many different things living inside the lines. Look for different kinds of plants, bugs, and animal signs (diggings, droppings, homes, holes). Look under rocks and under the soil if you can.
- Try doing this first in a sunny spot, then a shady spot.
- Try a grassy area, then an area near a stream or puddle, then rocky areas.
What Did You Discover?
How many different things did you discover? Could you find evidence of life? Was there a difference if you looked in the sun and then the shade? In grass or in rocks? Near water?
Stuff to Think About:
- How do habitats differ?
- How do plants and animals choose their homes?
- What do plants and animals need to survive?