2008 Farm Bill Programs
Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP)
Purpose of Program
- The Conservation Stewardship Program is a new voluntary program that provides financial and technical assistance to producers who practice good stewardship on their agricultural lands and incentives for addressing additional resource concerns.
- Eligible land includes tribal and private cropland, pastureland, prairie, improved pasture and rangeland and incidental forested land with a cropping history of 4 of 6 years before June 2008.
- Eligible land must meet stewardship threshold for 1 USDA identified resource concern and achieve threshold for State identified priority resource concern by the end of the 5 year contract.
- Applications are ranked on present and proposed conservation activities, number and extent of resource concerns addressed, and cost effectiveness of expected environmental benefits.
- Ineligible land includes land under CRP, WRP or GRP contracts, animal waste storage or treatment facilities, and government-owned land.
Contract Period and Cost-Share
- Contract Period - 5 years with option to renew for another 5 years.
- Program payment cap of $200,000 per five years per person or legal entity.
- Payments cover planning, installation, improvement and maintenance of conservation activities, forgone income, and expected environmental benefits.
- CSP is run by NRCS.
- Applications can be filed year round at local NRCS/USDA Service Centers and Conservation District Offices.
Common CSP Practices
- To be determined
For more information contact:
Chuck Kowaleski, Farm Bill Coordinator
Texas Parks & Wildlife Department
Phone: (254) 718-7684
- Natural Resources Conservation Service(NRCS) - Contact information from the US Dept. of Agriculture Service Center Locator for Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, and the Rural Development agencies.
- Texas State Water and Soil Conservation Board - Texas Soil and Water Conservation Districts Locator Map and information.
- Farm Service Agency - FSA website for Texas Farm Service Agency Directory.