Your responsibilities with black powder
A muzzleloader is a firearm that is loaded only through the muzzle (the open end of the barrel). Muzzleloaders use special powder to fire, and require special handling.
- Safely store and handle black powder or Pyrodex
- Handle guns in a safe and responsible manner
- Store load and fire muzzleloading firearms
- Safely unload or discharge muzzleloading firearms
- Properly clean and maintain firearms
- Use eye and ear protection
- Remember that the effective range of most muzzleloaders is seldom beyond 100 yards
Important: Always Remember:
Never expose black powder to open flame
Never store black powder in steel, iron, plastic or other material that can spark
Never blow down the barrel of a gun
Never pour powder directly from the flask or horn into the barrel
Never use smokeless powder in a muzzleloader unless the firearm is specifically designed for smokeless powder.