Outdoor Skills - First Aid
What to look for:
- Unable to speak, breathe or cough
- Clutching neck with one or both hands
- Wheezing, gurgling noise in throat
- Skin turning blue or ashen color
- Stand behind victim with arms around victim's torso.
- Clench one hand over the other; thumb side of fist pressing between the waist and bottom of ribs.
- Apply pressure and jerk quickly upwards 4 times.
Sometimes objects can be dislodged by a finger sweep. Grasp victim's jaw and tongue and lift upward – use hooking motion inside mouth from one cheek to other.
Caution! When inserting your finger in anyone's mouth, be extremely careful of the risk of being bitten. Be sure victim is choking and not experiencing a seizure.