Make a Tarantula
K - 2 Activity - Teacher Directions
The tarantula is a hairy spider with eight legs, usually found in warm climates. Their bite is not poisonous. They are gray to dark brown in color. Tarantulas are most active during the evening when it is coolest. They live under rocks or in burrows abandoned by other animals. Sometimes after mating, the female eats the male. An interesting fact is that tarantulas have eight eyes! One pair of eyes is in the middle and three pairs are on each side of its face.
- Brown construction paper
- Black marker
- Template of spider shape
Template (PDF 87.9 KB)
- option: “Wiggly” craft eyes
- Trace template of tarantula shape onto a sheet of brown construction paper.
- Cut out shape.
- Fringe legs and body to resemble hair.
- Draw the eight pairs of eyes onto front, top of body. Optional: Use “wiggly” craft eyes instead of drawing eyes.
- Bring the two ends of the body together underneath and staple twice.