Activities and Lesson Plans
Texas Parks & Wildlife Magazine, January 2009
You may print Vanishing! children's pages from the Texas Parks & Wildlife Magazine. We hope you'll consider a subscription to our magazine. Be sure to check out the Texas Parks & Wildlife Magazine special offer for teachers. And please let us know your suggestions for future issues at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Suggested Topics: survival, systems, habitat, adapting to an environment, human impacts, persuasive writing and communication.
Related 4th Grade TEKS: Science Concepts: Past Events Affect Present and Future Events 4.10 B. Parts Removed from Complex Systems 4.5 A, B. Adaptations increase survival 4.8 A, B, C. Geography: Humans Adapt to and Modify their Environment 4.9 A, B, C. Math: Number, Operation and Quantitative Reasoning, 4.3. Language Arts: Speaks Clearly and Appropriately to Different Audiences, 4.5. Writes for Variety of Audiences and Purposes, 4.15. Inquires and Conducts Research Using a Variety of Sources, 4.13. Uses Writing as a Tool for Learning and Research, 4.21.
- Can you name some endangered species?
- Can you name some Texas endangered species?
- After reading Keep Texas Wild, why do you think some animals are are having trouble surviving?
- Do you think some plants also have trouble surviving? Why or why not?
- How have humans contibuted to this problem? How can humans help?
- Read this article about a Lone Star Land Steward. The winner describes an experience as an 11 year old that affected how she looks at wildlife. Do you think experiences as a child can affect your opinions about wildlife? In what ways?
- Endangered Species Activity Book
- Rare Species Activity Packets (Attwater Prairie Chicken, Barton Springs Salamander, Black-capped Vireo, Endangered Cats, Golden-cheeked Warbler, Hill Country, Houston Toad, Short Grass Prairies, Red-cockaded Woodpecker, Sea Turtles, Swift Fox, Masks)
- Hopscotch Migration
- Horned Lizard Watch
- US Fish and Wildlife Service Teacher's Kit (pdf)
Additional Resources for Teachers
- US Fish and Wildlife Service Kid's Corner - teacher resources on endangered and threatened species
- US Fish and Wildlife Service Slide Show "Endangered Means There's Still Time"
- Water Education Field Guide - Texas Commission for Environmental Quality
- Texas Endangered Species Poster (for sale)
- Sea Turtle activity mat
- Sea Turtle poster: http://www.seaturtles.org/downloads/gulfturtlesposter.pdf