Game Warden Requirements
Texas Game Warden Academy Applicant Requirements
- Education Requirements:
- Applicants must have successfully completed a Bachelors level degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Natural Resource Conservation, Environmental Science, Fish and/or Wildlife Management, Parks and Recreation, Criminal Justice, or other closely related field of resource conservation and management. The degree must be awarded prior to the starting date of the Cadet Class.
- Hearing Requirements:
- Applicant must have binaural hearing at 35 decibels or better in each of the following four frequencies: 500, 1000, 2000 and 3000 Hz.
- Vision Requirements:
- The applicant must have binocular vision of 20/30 or better with or without corrective lenses. If correction is required, uncorrected vision must be no worse than 20/40 in the best eye and 20/100 in the worst eye. Applicant must have uninterrupted peripheral vision of 140 degrees or better, have night vision and be able to distinguish red and green colors (for lights and placards).
- Physical Agility Requirements:
- The applicant must successfully complete a physical agility test, which includes the following activities:
- 24 situps in one minute
- 16 pushups in one minute
- 1.5 mile run in 16 minutes 11 seconds
- 300 meter run in 76 seconds
- sit and reach flexibility stretch of 14.5 inches
- handgun stability test involving (1) dry fire of a revolver five consecutive trigger pulls with each hand from a standing position while holding the barrel inside a 5 inch ring (2) dry firing a revolver from a kneeling position, holding the firearm in both hands while holding the barrel inside a five inch ring
- swim test, including treading water for 2 minutes and immediately swimming 100 meters in 5 minutes in any style
*NOTE* – Before being allowed to take the physical agility test, the applicant will be required to provide a description of the test to a physician and obtain a written medical clearance.
Applicant must successfully complete all components of the physical agility test.
Top of Page