Desert Survival Webcast
In Memory of David Alloway
May 24, 1957—March 11, 2003
Whether plant, animal or human, it takes special skills to be a survivor in the Texas desert. In this webcast, we learn how people, plant and animals survive in the desert.
- Learn desert survival skills.
- Meet students from Presidio and learn about the history and culture of the border area.
- Explore the plants and animals of the desert and where there is water in a desert.
- Our special guest, David Alloway taught arid land survival techniques in the United States, Mexico, and Australia for over twenty years. His courses drew adventurers from all corners of the globe. Dave shared with us his understanding of the desert and its connection to man.
- See Fort Leaton, an adobe fortress built in 1848 by trader Ben Leaton, the Barton Warnock Environmental Education Center and neighboring Big Bend National Park!
Follow along by clicking on the topics. To see the video, click on either Windows Media or Real Player links on the topic pages. Pictures on the topic pages highlight some of the speakers' main ponits.