Goliad – Fannin Battleground State Historic Site
This state historic site commemorates the site of the Battle of Coleto Creek, March 19 and 20, 1836. As Colonel James W. Fannin and a force of volunteers retreated from Presidio La Bahía, which Fannin renamed "Fort Defiance," they were attacked and overrun by General José Urrea's army. After surrendering, the Texians were taken back to the Presidio, held briefly and then executed on Palm Sunday. A survivor of the battle, William L. Hunter, marked the site with a pile of rocks. In 1891, those rocks were replaced with an iron compress screw from a cotton gin. The precise extent of Fannin's defenses and the battleground has yet to be determined. The state of Texas accepted donation of the park in 1913 and the next year erected a granite marker in honor of Fannin and his men.
The park, a thirteen-acre tract, nine miles east of Goliad off of U.S. Highway 59, was managed by TPWD beginning in 1965. On January 1, 2008, operational control was transferred to the Texas Historical Commission. Visitors to the site can view the commemorative markers, see an interpretive exhibit about the battle and picnic at a covered pavilion. Visit the Fannin Battleground State Historic Site web page for more information.
Top of Page