Note: This item is more than three years old. Please take the publication date into consideration for any date references.
Nov. 6, 2009
Treatment To Begin on Giant Salvinia in Toledo Bend Reservoir
ATHENS, Texas — Helicopter crews are scheduled to begin herbicide treatment of the floating mats of giant salvinia and water hyacinth on Toledo Bend Reservoir at 7:00 a.m. on November 7, 2009.
Friday morning Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) aquatic vegetation biologist Howard Elder surveyed the situation from the air and reported the following:
- 2,000 total acres are affected;
- southerly winds have broken apart the main concentration, resulting in a few large mats and many smaller ones intermixed with scattered plants;
- the worst infestations are on the Texas portion of the reservoir;
- many plants are now being pushed against the shore and into small south-facing coves, some of which are now 100 percent covered;
- plants are now spread over 16 miles, from Patroon Bayou above Pendleton Bridge to the southern point of Housen Bayou.
Herbicide application will be carried out by crews from North Star Helicopter, Inc., of Jasper under contract with TPWD. Depending on weather conditions, spraying is estimated to take approximately five to seven days and should be completed by November 13, 2009.
Larger concentrations of vegetation will be targeted first while smaller mats and scattered plants will be treated as conditions allow. Results from the treatments may take up to four weeks to be fully visible due to cooler water temperatures. Additional treatments will be necessary to reduce concentrations in areas inaccessible to aerial treatment.
For more information contact Howard Elder at (409) 384-9965, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Publication — Permission is granted to publish, in whole or in part, any news releases on this page.
Print — A print-friendly version of the news release shows only the release with font sizes set to the browser default.
E-mail — This link launches your e-mail client with the subject and message filled in. All you need to do is fill in the recipient.
Plain Text — Plain text versions of TPWD news releases are provided for copying and pasting into editing software.
To copy text into an editing software:
- Click a Plain Text link to display the plain text page in your browser.
- Select all.
- Paste in a document in your editing program.
Permalink — This is a direct link to the news release, omitting the navigation context from the URI.
English/Spanish — News releases posted in both English and Spanish have one of these links.
If you have any suggestions for improving these pages, send an e-mail to email@example.com and mention Plain Text Pages.