+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  TPWD News Release 20090810a                                            |
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  This page contains only plain text, no HTML formatting codes.          |
|  It is not designed for display in a browser but for copying            |
|  and editing in whatever software you use to lay out pages.             |
|  To copy the text into an editing program:                              |
|    --Display this page in your browser.                                 |
|    --Select all.                                                        |
|    --Copy.                                                              |
|    --Paste in a document in your editing program.                       |
|  If you have any suggestions for improving these pages, send            |
|  an e-mail to webtech@tpwd.state.tx.us and mention Plain Text Pages.    |
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+

[ Note: This item is more than four years old. Please take the publication date into consideration for any date references. ]
[ Media Contact: Tom Harvey, 512-389-4453, tom.harvey@tpwd.texas.gov ] [TH]
Aug. 10, 2009
Drowning Victim Recovered on Calaveras Lake
Authorities Say Accident Could Have Been Prevented
SAN ANTONIO -- Authorities this morning recovered a body on Calaveras Lake believed to be a missing San Antonio man whose boat capsized around midnight Saturday.
Texas game wardens found the body around 7:20 a.m. today in about 10 to 20 yards from the lake's northeastern shore. It appeared to be that of Daniel Galindo, Jr., date of birth 3-10-83, of San Antonio, who had been missing since the incident. Authorities say based on tattoos and boots the victim was wearing, it appeared to be Galindo, but the medical examiner had not confirmed positive identification, pending fingerprint analysis. Next of kin have been notified, including the missing man's wife.
"Like many boating fatalities, this tragedy could have been prevented," said Capt. Danny Villalobos, who supervises game wardens in the Bexar County area. Detectives with the Bexar County sheriff's office have been leading an investigation of the incident. But Villalobos did say boat overloading and failure to wear life jackets appeared to be factors. He said that four people on the 12-foot Jon boat "exceeeded the maximum safe capacity weight limit" of the vessel. He also noted that only one of the four passengers was wearing a life jacket.
Authorities say the four boat passengers were fishing, when one person stood up and shifted the boat, which then took on water and capsized. Three were able to swim to shore, but Galindo, the boat owner, never appeared.
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department game wardens were leading the search effort. Searchers included two game warden boats, two boats from the San Antonio River Authority, and volunteers with the Harmony and Sandy Oaks volunteer fire departments.
-30-