Hunter Education Home Study (Online plus Field Day)
The Home Study course is designed for adult hunters who have been shooting and/or hunting for a number of years or an older youth who has an adult hunting/shooting mentor. This course is NOT recommended for students who lack extensive experience in hunting, shooting and firearms. It is NOT recommended for anyone under the age of 12.
The certification process consists of two parts:
- Complete the TPWD Home Study online course or one of the approved online hunter education courses.
- Attend a Home Study Field Day with a TPWD certified instructor.
The fee for the Home Study Field Day is $15.00.
Part 1- Home Study Online Options: (choose one)
|TPWD Home Study online course||New, updated||FREE|
|International Hunter Education Association (IHEA) online course||FREE|
|SPANISH International Hunter Education Association (IHEA) online course||FREE|
|Outdoor Roadmap Texas online course||Animated, interactive with special incentives from manufacturers and retailers.||$13.00 pay up front
|Hunter-ed.com Texas online course||Fully narrated and interactive - the same Today's Hunter in Texas content used by TPWD.||$24.50 pay when you pass exam
|HUNTERCourse.com Texas online course||fully narrated, animated study guide.||$24.95 pay when you pass exam
After completing Part 1 of Home Study course, which is the homework online, print out the results (for FREE TPWD Home Study online course or IHEA course, print each chapter's quiz results. For other options, print Voucher or Certificate) and present to TPWD certified instructor at the Home Study Field Day.
NOTE: No matter which option you choose, you must still attend and successfully complete the Home Study Field Day ($15) to receive your final certification.
Part 2- Home Study Field Day
The Home Study Field Day includes: a presentation of ethical and responsible hunting, participation in a hunting skills trail, a live firing exercise, review of regulations and a final exam (score at least 80% to pass). The Home Study Field Day is completed in one day. You must pre-register for this course with the instructor to reserve a seat and find out class details, such as location and hours.
When you arrive at the Home Study Field Day site:
- Show printed results from Part 1 to the instructor (Quiz Results, Voucher or Certificate).
- Fill out a student registration form.
- Pay the $15 state fee to the instructor.
- Demonstrate appropriate knowledge, skills and attitude while completing the Home Study Field Day subjects: ethics and responsible hunting, regulations, hunter skills trail and live firing exercise. (Honorably discharged or active military are exempt from live fire exercises only)
- Take the written exam and score at least 80% correct to pass.
- Upon successful completion of Parts 1 and 2 of the Home Study course, you will receive a temporary Texas Hunter Education student card. Your instructor will send in the originals for processing. You may legally hunt with a valid Texas hunting license and your temporary student certification card. Your permanent Texas Hunter Education certification card will be mailed within a few weeks. More questions? Check our .