Activities and Lesson Plans
Texas Parks & Wildlife Magazine, January 2009
You may print Vanishing! children's pages from the Texas Parks & Wildlife Magazine. We hope you'll consider a subscription to our magazine. Be sure to check out the Texas Parks & Wildlife Magazine special offer for teachers. And please let us know your suggestions for future issues at: email@example.com
Survival, systems, habitat, adapting to an environment, human impacts, persuasive writing and communication.
Related 4th Grade TEKS: Science Concepts: Past Events Affect Present and Future Events 4.10 B. Parts Removed from Complex Systems 4.5 A, B. Adaptations increase survival 4.8 A, B, C. Geography: Humans Adapt to and Modify their Environment 4.9 A, B, C. Math: Number, Operation and Quantitative Reasoning, 4.3. Language Arts: Speaks Clearly and Appropriately to Different Audiences, 4.5. Writes for Variety of Audiences and Purposes, 4.15. Inquires and Conducts Research Using a Variety of Sources, 4.13. Uses Writing as a Tool for Learning and Research, 4.21.
- Can you name some endangered species?
- Can you name some Texas endangered species?
- After reading Keep Texas Wild, why do you think some animals are are having trouble surviving?
- Do you think some plants also have trouble surviving? Why or why not?
- How have humans contibuted to this problem? How can humans help?
- Read this article about a Lone Star Land Steward. The winner describes an experience as an 11 year old that affected how she looks at wildlife. Do you think experiences as a child can affect your opinions about wildlife? In what ways?
Endangered Species Activity Book
Rare Species Activity Packets (Attwater Prairie Chicken, Barton Springs Salamander, Black-capped Vireo, Endangered Cats, Golden-cheeked Warbler, Hill Country, Houston Toad, Short Grass Prairies, Red-cockaded Woodpecker, Sea Turtles, Swift Fox, Masks)
Horned Lizard Watch
US Fish and Wildlife Service Teacher's Kit
Additional Resources for Teachers
US Fish and Wildlife Service Kid's Corner - teacher resources on endangered and threatened species
US Fish and Wildlife Service Slide Show "Endangered Means There's Still Time"
Texas Endangered Species Poster (for sale)
Sea Turtle activity mat
Sea Turtle poster