The following are classified as game animals:
- Pronghorn antelope
- Gray or cat squirrel
- Red or fox squirrel
- Collared peccary or javelina
- PRONGHORN ANTELOPE (by permit only)
- Antelope permits are issued only to the landowner or landowner's agent in selected areas of Trans-Pecos, Permian Basin, and Panhandle counties (see County Listings). The landowner-issued antelope permit must be properly and completely filled out and may be attached anywhere on the antelope. See processing and proof-of-sex.
- DESERT BIGHORN SHEEP (Brewster, Culberson, Hudspeth, Jeff Davis and Presidio counties by permit only.)
- NOTE: As of Sept. 1, 2003, no person may possess a desert bighorn ram skull obtained on or after Sept. 1, 2003 unless it has either been marked with a department identification plug by a department employee or the person in possession of the skull also possesses proof that the skull was legally acquired in another state or country. Ram skulls found in the wild may be possessed, provided the person in possession did not cause or participate in the death of the ram, the landowner of the property where the skull was found signs an affidavit attesting to the date and place that the skull was found, and the skull is plugged by a department employee within 48 hours of being found. Individual horns, as well as skulls without horns may be possessed without any identification or documentation.
- JAVELINA (See County Listings)
- North Texas Season - Oct. 1, 2013-Feb. 23, 2014. Bag limit of two and possession of two per year.
- South Texas Season - No closed season. Bag limit of two and possession of two per year.
- All other counties are closed to hunting.
- SQUIRREL YOUTH-ONLY: 16 years of age and under.
- September Special Youth-Only Season: Saturday and Sunday, September 28-29, 2013 in all counties that have an Oct. 1, 2013-Feb. 2, 2014 and May 1-31, 2014 open squirrel season (see County Listings) NOT the same as youth hunts on wildlife management areas.