Fur-bearing Animal Means & Methods
Fur-bearing animals may be legally taken with:
- body grip, live or box traps
- lawful archery equipment
- electronic or hand-held calls
- artificial light
except as prohibited below.
It is illegal to:
- Shoot at, take or attempt to take any fur-bearing animal from a boat on public waters in Texas.
- Take fur-bearing animals by means of falconry without a valid falconry permit issued by the department.
- Take fur-bearing animals with a foothold or body grip trap except during the season for commercial harvest.
- Take fur-bearing animals with a foothold or body grip trap within 400 yards of any school.
- Use smoke, explosives or chemical irritants of any kind to harry or flush fur-bearing animals.
- Take fur-bearing animals with body grip traps with a diagonal opening greater than 10 inches set on land or in less than 6-inch deep water.
- Take fur-bearing animals with snare, foothold, body grip traps, and live or box trap unless such devices are examined at least once every 36 hours and animals are removed.