Abilene State Park, southwest of Abilene, in Taylor County, is among a low range of hills called the Callahan Divide in the extreme western portion of North Central Texas. Acquired in 1933 by deed from the city of Abilene, Abilene State Park was opened and dedicated on May 10, 1934. The park's total acreage is 529.4.
Original park construction was completed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the early 1930s. Comanches frequented what is now the park, camping in the groves of native pecan trees, like the present park's picnic area.