Found less than one mile from the Sauceda Ranger Station the South Leyva Campground exists. At this time primitive camping is allowed. In the future, South Leyva Campground will have at least three trailer pull-through sites and seven tent camping sites. This open area offers view sheds of rugged flat-topped mesas to the north and east. For the more adventuresome, a short hike to the top of a ridgeline that runs east-west offers excellent views of the surrounding landscapes and the Sauceda Ranch historic district. This site is ideal for the photographer. The mountains offer panoramic views along with dramatic opportunities for sunrise and sunset pictures. Wildlife photography could include everything from lizards to trophy-sized mule deer.
Access - 2-Wheel Drive.
GPS Coordinates (NAD83):
- UTM13 Easting: 602342.1975
UTM Northing: 3261255.4922
- Longitude DD -103.9444101504
Latitude DD 29.4766078461
- Longitude DMS -103 56 39.8765
Latitude DMS 29 28 35.7882
Getting there (all distances & travel times are approximate):
- Located in the Leyva Front Country Zone at an elevation of 4194 ft.
- From the Sauceda Ranger Station travel east on Camino a la Sauceda 1 mile.
- At South Leyva Road it’s 0.3 miles to the campsite.