Surrounding the campsite is evidence of several types of mining operations. In the 1930s miners searched for gold, silver, and mercury. One miner wrote, "We selected 55 tons. We had a shaft 40' feet deep a mine tunnel into mt. From shaft on vein. 5 tons of pure ore collected $365.-ton. Took out 25 tons, shipped to El Paso."
GPS Coordinates (NAD83):
- UTM13 Easting: 619055.0093
UTM Northing: 3259210.6998
- Longitude DD -103.7722817819
Latitude DD 29.4566782026
- Longitude DMS -103 46 20.2144
Latitude DMS 29 27 24.0415
Access: 2-Wheel Drive High Clearance natural surface road.
Getting there (all distances & travel times are approximate):
- Located in the Solitario Backcountry Zone
- Distance from Sauceda Ranger Station to Solitario Road: 8.5 miles
- Distance from Solitario Road to campsite: 8.2 miles
- Driving time from Sauceda Ranger Station: 1 hour 10 minutes
- #8 Burnt Camp
- #36 Lower Shutup
- #52 Right Hand Shutup
- #57 Solitario Loop.