Estero Llano Grande State Park
Things to Do
At the geographic center of the World Birding Center network, Estero Llano Grande State Park in Weslaco attracts a spectacular array of South Texas wildlife with its varied landscape of shallow lake, woodlands and thorn forest. Even beginning birders and nature lovers will enjoy exploring this 230 plus-acre refuge, which is convenient to all the Rio Grande Valley has to offer.
The Park has a Visitor Center with a Texas State Parks Store "Humedales Alegres." There is a wildlife-viewing deck, boardwalks, an observation deck, and over 5 miles of trails. There is also a class/meeting room and a pavilion that can be rented.
Large groups can be accommodated for day or overnight use, in the the newly acquired Camp Thicket. Located in a private area on one of the oldest remnants of mature Tamaulipan Thorn Forest left in the Rio Grande Valley. It has a large chapel, an outdoor pavilion, a nature trail, and two separate meeting and overnight facilities (the South Complex and the North Complex)
The South Complex is composed of one large building with six bedrooms including 5 bunk beds in each room. Each room has a bathroom with showers. There is a large kitchen and meeting space. It has a large barbeque pit and ice machine.
The North Complex consists of individual bunk houses, two separate shower houses, a recreation hall with kitchen and dining hall or meeting space. It also has a large barbeque pit.
- Bird Walks (Saturdays & Sundays and Wednesdays during November-May 8:30 - 10:30 a.m.) Join us for an unforgettable avian adventure. Contact us for more information. Program is free with park entrance.
- Butterfly Walks (Fridays 1:30 p.m.) Join a park naturalist and observe the vast amounts of colorful butterflies that are attracted to the gardens in the park. Fee: Program is free with park entrance.
- Dragonfly Walks (Fridays 3:30 - 4:30 p.m.) Be prepared for an expedition for flying predators. Fee: Program is free with park entrance.
- Electric Tram Nature Tours (Sundays 2 - 4 p.m.) or call to arrange your own time. Embark on a voyage taking you to places limited mobility may have kept you from experiencing. Book your own tour on another day by calling the park to schedule. Fee: Program is free with park entrance.
- School Programs – Contact the park for information, booking dates, and quotes for School Group Programs and information about joint field trip opportunities with the Valley Nature Center.
Make sure to check the Events Calendar for special events and workshops scheduled throughout the year.
- Estero Llano Grande Field Trip Brochure
- Interpretive Guide to State Parks of the World Birding Center
The Texas State Park Store "Humedales Alegres" offers a variety of field guides, gifts, and food items. The store also rents the following equipment for use at the park.
- Binoculars: $3.00 per day
- GPS Units (for Geocaching): $3.00 per day
The World Birding Center is based on a joint partnership between the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, Rio Grande Valley communities, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. It consists of a network of nine distinctly different birding sites, set along a 120-mile historic river road – each sponsored by one of the Valley’s nine partner communities.