Mission Tejas State Park is a 660-acre park in Houston County, 22 miles northeast of Crockett. The park was constructed in 1935 and acquired in 1957 by legislative act from the Texas Forest Service, at which time it was opened to the public.
The park was built in 1934 by Co. 888 of the Civilian Conservation Corps as a commemorative representation of Mission San Francisco de los Tejas, the first Spanish mission in the province of Texas, which was established in 1690. Also in the park is the restored Rice Family Log Home, built in 1828 and restored in 1974. The home, which Joseph Redmund Rice Sr. constructed between 1828 and 1838, is one of the oldest structures in the area. The home served as a stopover for immigrants, adventurers and local residents traveling the Old San Antonio Road across pioneer Texas.