All-American Cowboy Caviar
This appetizer a mixture of black-eyed peas, fresh tomatoes, cilantro, onions and jalapeno all covered in tasty, homemade vinaigrette. This dish is very easy to make and is best after a couple hours in the refrigerator to allow all the flavors to meld. I actually prefer the dish on the second day, if it lasts that long.
- 2 cans of black-eyed peas, rinsed
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 1 bushel of cilantro, chopped
- 5 to 6 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 fresh jalapeno, diced
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 packet of artificial sweetener (Splenda)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 dashes of Thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 2 dashes celery salt
- Prepare vinaigrette. Mix together oil, vinegar, hot sauce and spices. Stir well. Vinaigrette should be fragrant smell like Italian dressing. If it smells like oil, add more garlic powder. If it smells too acidic, add more oregano, parsley and celery salt. Let sit for 10 min.
- While the dressing is sitting, in a large bowl, stir together black eyed peas, corn, red onion, tomatoes, jalapeno and cilantro.
- Pour dressing over mixture and add avocado. Stir well. Be careful not to mash the avocado.
- Enjoy with chips or refrigerate.
Recipe and image courtesy of Melissa Miller Andrew at Red, White and Blueberries (http://redwhiteandblueberries.com/)