Master Outdoor Leadership Training (MOLT)
Join Texas State Parks in their inaugural Master Outdoor Leadership Training. This training, open to the public, is designed to take excited volunteers, volunteer hopefuls, or budding outdoor enthusiasts and coach them through best practices in hosting an outdoor skills or interpretive program.
Feb 25, 2014 06:30 PM
Mar 02, 2014 01:00 PM
|Where||Sheldon Lake State Park & Environmental Learning Center|
|Contact Name||Robert Owen|
Are you looking to improve upon or establish new skills in leading and teaching outdoor programs? The Outdoor Education and Outreach team with Texas State Parks wants to help you become a better and more confident instructor! By attending the Master Outdoor Leadership Training in the Houston area followed by 30 hours of volunteer work in state parks you will be certified as a Master Outdoor Leader.
This MOLT certification is great for a professional resume, getting ready to lead your own group of friends on an outdoor adventure, or bolstering your volunteer toolkit.
Topics to be covered in this training include best practices in:
- Safety and Risk Management
- Working effectively with park staff
- Outdoor Cooking
- Setting up Camp
- Fishing instruction
- Campfire building
- Time management
- Interpretive themes and hikes
- Liability and youth protection
- Gear maintenance
- Leave No Trace
- Jr. Ranger Activities
- Learning styles
- Understanding nature deficit disorder
- and much more!
Cost: This training is free but space is limited.
Dates: MOLT training will be hosted as a partial classroom and partial in-field experience. Attendance of all dates and a continuation of 30 volunteer hours is mandatory for certification.
- First classroom portion: Tuesday, Feb 25th, 6:30pm - 9:30pm @ Sheldon Lake State Park.
- Second classroom portion: Wednesday, Feb 26th, 6:30pm - 9:30pm @ Sheldon Lake State Park
- Two Overnight in-field portions: Friday, February 28th, 6:30pm - 1:00 pm Sunday March 2nd @ Brazos Bend State Park (campsite and entry fees are included in the training, please provide your own camping gear)
Food: Meals will not be provided. Participants are encouraged to eat before arriving at classroom sessions and provide their own meals during the in-field portion of the training.
Sign up: Email email@example.com for an application! Approval of application is required prior to attendance.
Questions: Call Robert Owen at (512)389-8791