Phone: (936) 569-8547
8096 FM 2782
Nacogdoches, TX 75964
Dates Open: Open year round.
The Bannister WMA has 25,695 acres located in San Augustine County part of the Angelina National Forest. The WMA is operated under a Memorandum of Agreement with the US Forest Service. The WMAis located on a peninsula extending into Sam Rayburn Reservoir. It is separated from the lake by private land or national forest service land. As part of the national forest, Bannister WMA offers a wide range of recreational activities. Texas Parks and Wildlife acts as an advisor concerning wildlife management. The Area is a designated Eastern Wild Turkey restoration site and closes certain sections during turkey brooding season. Only hikers and bikers are allowed in these areas at this time. For more information, call the US Forest Service at (409) 639-8620 or the Jasper office of Texas Parks and Wildlife at (409) 384-6894.
- Bring your own drinking water.
- Insect repellant is recommended for mosquitoes.
- High heat and humidity in the summer should be taken into consideration when planning a visit.
- There are no restroom facilities.
- The WMA is not wheelchair-accessible.
- Primitive camping is available.