Note: This item is more than seven years old. Please take the publication date into consideration for any date references.
Dec. 4, 2006
Big Time Texas Hunt Winners Announced
AUSTIN, Texas — Danny Bennett’s hunting season calendar just got filled. That’s because the Victoria hunter became this year’s lucky winner of the Big Time Texas Hunts Grand Slam.
Bennett was selected from among 18,771 applicants to win the Texas Grand Slam, a series of four separate guided hunts for all four big game animals in Texas-white-tailed deer, mule deer, pronghorn antelope and bighorn sheep.
“This is the biggest thing to happen to me since my wife and grandkids,” said Bennett. “Hunting is what I like to do and this is the ultimate. I’m really excited about going on all the hunts. My wife will be going on one, my son on another and my son in law on another, the fourth one is up for grabs.”
Bennett paid $10 to apply for the grand slam drawing. The bighorn sheep hunt alone is priceless, something only a handful of people ever get a chance to experience. For his four hunts, Bennett just needs to bring hunting gear and a valid hunting license. Guide service, food, lodging, and on-site transportation for himself and a non-hunting companion are all provided.
Here are the winners and hometowns for all seven Big Time Texas Hunts categories:
- Texas Grand Slam — Danny Bennett of Victoria.
- Texas Whitetail Bonanza — Samuel Cardenas of San Antonio, Brian Lauster of Graham, Houston Sterne of Victoria, Eddie Long of Joshua, Claudia Hopkins of Boerne, Mark Kerr of Bryan, Stephen Harpold of Kerrville, Michael Coker of Tyler, Layton Hobbs of Houston, and Wallace Hughes of Spring.
- Texas Exotic Safari — Denver Eichler of Sandia and James Hrabovski of Victoria
- Texas Premium Buck Hunt — Lawrence Leschper of Sharpsburg, GA
- Texas Waterfowl Adventure — Bob Carroll of Kerens
- Texas Big Time Bird Hunt — John Kennedy of Lufkin
- Texas Gator Hunt — Garrett Taylor of San Antonio
All told, hunters bought 78,813 Big Time Texas Hunt entries during this year’s sales period from Aug. 15 through the Nov. 1 deadline. This generated $788,130 in gross revenue to support wildlife research, habitat management and public hunting.
Publication — Permission is granted to publish, in whole or in part, any news releases on this page.
Print — A print-friendly version of the news release shows only the release with font sizes set to the browser default.
Plain Text — Plain text versions of TPWD news releases are provided for copying and pasting into editing software.
To copy text into an editing software:
- Click a Plain Text link to display the plain text page in your browser.
- Select all.
- Paste in a document in your editing program.
Permalink — This is a direct link to the news release, omitting the navigation context from the URI.
English/Spanish — News releases posted in both English and Spanish have one of these links.
If you have any suggestions for improving these pages, send an e-mail to email@example.com and mention Plain Text Pages.