Gus Engeling WMA: Wildlife Viewing (GEWMA)
Phone: (903) 928-2251
16149 North US Hwy 287
Tennessee Colony, TX 75861
Dates Open: NOTE: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR ORDER NO. 014-002 (PDF)"Due to planned Eastern Turkey research efforts on Gus Engeling Wildlife Management Area (Unit #754), the Executive Director of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department ORDERS the Feral Hog and Squirrel, Rabbits and Hares hunts by Annual Public Hunting Permit scheduled for the March 1-April 30 and May 1-31, 2014 cancelled." ----------------
Nov. 25-Dec. 1
Dec. 10-15, 21
Jan. 5, 11-19, 25-26
June 1-Aug. 31.
Daily On-site registration is required of all public users. General public access to the area is during daylight hours through designated legal entry points only and by APH or LPU Permits.
Please note that the Gus Engeling WMA is CLOSED on dates not posted above.
Registration is required.
Viewing wildlife is an enjoyable activity that is available in many of the Wildlife Management Areas of Texas.
The Gus Engeling WMA has a rich variety of wildlife. Currently 38 mammals, 172 birds, 68 reptiles and amphibians, 58 fishes, and over 1100 plant species have been documented. There's no guarantee, but the observant visitor may see white-tailed deer, gray squirrels, fox squirrels, raccoons, beavers, wood ducks or pileated woodpeckers just to name a few.
- Amphibians and Reptiles of Gus Engeling Wildlife Management Area (PDF 160 KB)
- Birds of Gus Engeling Wildlife Management Area (PDF 295.8 KB)
- Fishes of Gus Engeling Wildlife Management Area (PDF 191.7 KB)
- Mammals of Gus Engeling Wildlife Management Area (PDF 253 KB)
- Vegetation of Gus Engeling Wildlife Management Area (PDF 334.1 KB)