Black Gap WMA: Camping
Phone: (432) 364-2228
109 S. Cockrell
Alpine, TX 79830
Dates Open: Open year round, except closed for Special Permit hunts. Contact the WMA for specific information.
Registration is required.
- Users may not camp or build a fire anywhere other than in a designated campsite.
- Users may not cause, create, or contribute to excessive or disturbing sounds beyond the person's immediate campsite between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- Users may not establish a camp and leave it unattended for a period of longer than 24 hours.
- Users must remove refuse from the area upon departing.
- Cutting of firewood is prohibited.
There are 26 hunting campsites present throughout the management area. Most of these sites have a picnic table, a fire ring/grill, and a shade shelter. There are an additional 25 fishing shelters located along the Rio Grande. These camps offer a fire ring/grill and a shade shelter. All 51 camps are primitive. Visitors must bring their own water and pack out all trash. The only restroom facility is located at the headquarters campsite. Only "dead and down" wood may be collected for firewood. All campfires must be in the provided fire rings. Camping is only allowed at designated sites for resource protection.
Access restricted to Maravillas and Horse Canyons, Rio Grande and the headquarters campsite from March 1 to August 31.