Become a Hunter Education Instructor
The Hunter Education Program's goals are to reduce hunting related accidents and violations; promote safe, responsible and knowledgeable hunting; and enhance hunting traditions and values. We now have more than 2,900 instructors, who include game wardens, volunteers and professional educators. These volunteer instructors certify an average of 30,000 students per year.
Steps to Instructor Certification
- Complete the Hunter Education Student Course if you have not already done so.
- Take your completed instructor application to a TPWD Game Warden, who will interview you and submit your paperwork to TPWD. If you need a list of game wardens in your area you may contact your nearest TPWD law enforcement office.
- Complete the New Instructor Course - see Instructor Course Schedule.
- Review the complete prior to attending the instructor training. This is required and is available online: . After processing your application, interview, and course results, TPWD will mail you a Congratulatory Packet with your instructor card, name tag and instructors patch.
What You Should Know: Instructor Responsibilities
- Hunter Education Instructors are responsible to the Hunter Education Staff of Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.
- Volunteers will instruct students of all ages in the Hunter Education program as prescribed by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age, of reasonably good health, high integrity, pass a written examination and submit to an oral interview by a game warden. A criminal background check will be conducted and those failing to meet certain standards may be denied certification.
- In order to maintain instructor status annually, instructors must certify five or more students per year with at least 10 hours of instruction. Failure to meet this minimum requirement will result in inactive status.
- Instructors must graduate from a state-certified Hunter Education student course in addition to the Department's 8-hour (one day) Instructor Training Workshop.
- Voluntary in-service workshops are provided by the Department on a yearly basis.