James E. Daughtrey: Hunting (DWMA)
Phone: (830) 676-3413
Fax: (830) 676-3493
64 Chaparral WMA Dr.
Cotulla, TX 78014
Dates Open: Limited access. Contact the Area Manager for details.
San Miguel boat ramp closed Feb. 28 - May 12, 2011
Closed for Special Permit hunts
Land Portion of WMA (including access to the lake through the WMA)
Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) have rules and regulations for hunting not required on private property. Hunters must possess a valid hunting license, the appropriate tags and stamps, as well as the proper public hunting permit. Permits include: Annual Public Hunting Permit (APH), computer drawn Special Permits, and the Regular Permit, which allows daily small game hunting on some areas. Hunters 16 years of age and younger are not required to have a hunting permit, but must have a hunting license and be supervised by a licensed, permitted adult, 18 years of age or older. Hunters and non-hunters must wear hunter orange during daylight hours at any time when firearm hunting for any species is authorized on the unit (except turkeys, waterfowl, and dove). For more details see the rules page for this WMA, the Summary of Fishing and Hunting Regulations and Public Hunting Lands Information and Maps.
General Hunt Information
Waterfowl, upland bird, and migratory bird hunting are available on specified dates to holders of an Annual Public Hunting Permit, and deer, javelina, feral hog, and turkey hunting is available by Special Permit drawings only.
Special Permit drawn hunts are held from November through April of each year. Archery-only either sex deer, gun deer either sex, youth only gun deer either sex, gun deer antlerless/spike only, javelina/feral hog, and spring turkey hunts are offered annually. Because of the improved range conditions, thick brush, erratic rainfall and weather patterns, hunting on the WMA can be very challenging. In recent years, however, hunter success on all hunt categories has consistently ranked among the best in the state. Hunts are by drawing only, so check out the guides and references and our listed hunt dates. Don't forget to check out our Standby Hunt Policy for those not fortunate enough to be drawn.
Annual Public Hunting Permit Hunts
Special Permit Hunts (Drawn Hunts)
Check the Public Hunting Lands Map Booklet and the Applications for Drawings on Public Hunting Lands for the latest information on hunting.
*Those hunting under a special drawn permit do not need to purchase an Annual Public Hunting (APH) Permit.
Waterfowl Hunting Season
Waterfowl:Hunting is allowed each day of the Early Teal, High Plains Mallard, and Western Zone Goose seasons, except on dates when the ENTIRE AREA IS CLOSED. All waterfowl having an open season on these hunt dates may be taken.
Rules and Regulations:
- Limited permanent blinds are provided and hunters may bring their own portable blinds.
- There is no cold storage facilities available on the Area.
- Potential standby hunters must be at the check station no later than 11:00 a.m. on the first day of each hunt.
- A primitive campground is available for Special Permit hunters and will open the evening before the start of each hunt.
- Drinking water and electrical hookups are not available.
- A limited number of fire rings and picnic tables are provided on a first come, first served basis, as is one rented chemical toilet.
- Camping is also available at Choke Canyon State Park - South Shore Unit (361/786-3538).
- For further information call the WMA office (830/676-3413 or 361/274-3573).